Loading

Alcohol Addiction Statistics

(Also Known As: Addiction Statistics, Alcoholism Statistics, Alcoholic Statistics, Substance Abuse Statistics, Alcohol Dependence Statistics)

(Reviewed by: Paul Peterson, Licensed Therapist)

Statistics on Alcohol Addiction

  • Alcoholics who do not stop drinking reduce life expectancy by 10 to 15 years.
  • The main reason for some social problems such as homelessness, murder, suicide, injury, and violent crime is alcoholism. We are aware that the main cause of all deaths from motor vehicle accidents is because of alcohol—at least 50% are due to this factor. In fact, about 100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol, of which 50% are due to injuries of some sort. 6
  • Teenage alcohol addiction is one of the main problem for parents these days and based on statistics regarding teenage alcoholism is that in every 4 children, there is 1 child that is expose to alcoholism in their own home or domestically. Based on figures, 19 million children or 29% of children up to 17 years old are affected. Furthermore, it has been estimated that approximately 18% of adults experience an episode of alcohol abuse or dependence at some time during their lives. 7
  • About 95% of the people who quit drinking alcohol and experience mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms should be treated by a healthcare professional as an outpatient. The remaining 5% who suffer severe withdrawal symptoms must be treated in a hospital or in an alcohol rehab facility.

Could You Have Alcohol Addiction?

Alcohol Addiction Topics

Related Conditions

Drug Addiction – Drug Use, Addiction, Substance Abuse, Withdrawal, Tolerance, Alcoholism, Escape, Drug Dependency
Gambling Addiction – Compulsiveness, Uncontrolled Gambling, Pathological Gambling, Withdrawal, Tolerance, Escape, Loss of Control
Sexual Addiction – Hypersexuality, Sexual Dependency, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder